In 1926 it was thought that at last the most efficient and lightweight aircraft engine had been made for public use by the Fairchild Caminez Engine Corporation.
This engine, after extensive testing was the first commercial aircraft engine to receive a United State Department of Commerce approval. It developed 145 HP at only 1000 RPM and with a fuel consumption of just 5 1/2 gallons per hour. The manufacturer claims having used less that 1/2 the number of parts versus other engines of the era.
The Kelch Museum’s very rare Fairchild-Caminez Cam Engine four-cylinder radial engine was originally displayed in Sherman Fairchild’s office.